Ask anyone about their best boss and you will get a familiar list:
- My boss cared about me as a person
- My boss listened to me and helped me grow
- My boss was clear about what was expected and gave me feedback—even when it wasn’t pretty
- My boss was a person I respected and admired
- My boss was consistent
- My boss was always there for me
Guess what? These are all coaching behaviors.
The evidence is clear that these behaviors contribute to trust, passion, and performance at work. (See footnotes for links to research.)
As a part of preparing managers and leaders to go through our Coaching Essentials class, we ask them to assess their own natural tendencies and behaviors. For example, we ask them:
- To what extent are you a role model for the behaviors you expect in others?
- How much time do you spend building positive relationships with…
View original post 462 more words